Being the oldest town in Texas means Nacogdoches carries a lot of history; experience the city's storied past at these historic sites.
Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens
304 North St., 936/560-4443
Wed-Sat, 10 am - 4 pm
This circa 1835 wood-frame house is the second oldest structure in the city. Restored by the City of Nacogdoches to interpret the 1840 to 1860 time period, the hands-on museum includes a smokehouse, blacksmith shop and chicken yard.
Nacogdoches Fire Museum
214 E. Pilar St., 936/559-2541
Home to Nacogdoches’ first commercial fire engine, “Bertha,” old sirens, nozzles and tools, as well as numerous photos of local fires. Tours by appointment.
Nacogdoches Railroad Depot
101 Old Tyler Rd., 936/462-8267
Thurs-Sat, 10 am - 4 pm
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Nacogdoches Railroad Depot is the only surviving passenger station on the old Houston East and West Texas rail line. The Depot currently hosts several rotating exhibits such as the Loblolly Model Train exhibit, history of the HE&WT line and others. The Depot is home to an exhibit on the history of railroads in Nacogdoches, those who worked at the Depot, traveled the rails or brought railroads to Nacogdoches. It also hosts the Loblolly Model Train exhibit every November and December.
Oak Grove Cemetery
200 N. Lanana St., 936/559-2960
Oak Grove Cemetery is one of the most famous cemeteries in Texas. It is the final resting place for a number of legendary Texans, including four signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Recently added interpretive signs throughout the cemetery, a new building and cemetery map and index help tell the history of this historic cemetery.
Old Nacogdoches University Building
515 N. Mound St., 936/569-7292
Tues-Sat, 1 pm - 4 pm
Built in 1858, it is the only remaining building of the Nacogdoches University chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas to fulfill settlers’ ideals for higher education. It was used as a hospital during the Civil War. The building is furnished with period pieces.
Sterne-Hoya House Museum and Library
211 S. Lanana St., 936/560-5426
Wed-Sat, 10 am - 4 pm
This circa 1830 home was built by Adolphus Sterne, a prominent leader of the Texas Revolution, and is the oldest house in Nacogdoches still on its original site. Sam Houston was baptized into the Catholic Church in the parlor of the home. Free admission.
Stone Fort Museum
1808 Alumni Drive (on the SFA Campus), 936/468-2408
For updates on open days and hours, please visit their website. This replica of Antonio Gil Y’Barbo’s 1779 Spanish colonial stone house served as a trading post, private home, church, jail and saloon. Displays illustrate East Texas and Nacogdoches history. Free admission.
Zion Hill Baptist Church
324 N. Lanana St., 936-560-4441
Zion Hill Baptist Church was home to one of the oldest African American Baptist congregations in Texas. The congregation was founded in 1878 by Reverend Lawson Reed and has occupied four different buildings during its life. Zion Hill was the social and religious center for members of the Zion Hill community and African American’s in Nacogdoches. Zion Hill Baptist Church, which sits on the corner of Lanana and Bois d’arc streets, was built in 1914 by famed architect Diedrich Rulfs. The Zion Hill congregation moved from this building in 1987. The facility is open to the public for touring and for event venue rental.